1 High Street, Blackstone
This is not a historic home as the house has since been demolished, but is a historic site nonetheless.
‘Brynhyfryd’ was a grand Italianate-style mansion built in 1889-1890 for Welshman Lewis Thomas, a coal mining pioneer. Along with Mr. J. Thompson, Mr. Thomas started his own coal mine in Blackstone in 1886. Its success made Mr. Thomas a very wealthy man, and he was able to construct his mansion at a cost of 13,000 pounds.
The 3-storey home had 49 rooms, a basement and a tower. The ground floor contained servants quarters, kitchen, dairy room, bathrooms (with an inside toilet) and dining rooms. The second floor had a large library, music room and guest quarters, while the third floor contained family bedrooms and private rooms. Read the rest of this entry »