Georgian manor outside Adelaide
The Valleys Estate
$1,800,000 ~ $1,960,000
“The Valleys” is a Georgian manor estate on 36 hectares just east of Adelaide. The two storey stone mansion was built in 1844 for Matthew Smillie. Mr. Smillie was a legal prosecutor who arrived in 1839 aboard the Indus from Edinburgh, Scotland. He had a grant of 4,000 acres, and donated part of the land to start the town of Nairne, named after his wife Elizabeth’s maiden name. He was not a farmer himself, so he decided to lease tracts of land to farmers.
Smillie died at the estate in 1847, aged 65. After the passing of Smillie’s wife, Elizabeth, the estate passed to Smillie’s son, the Honorable William Smillie, who was Advocate-General and Crown Solicitor, and was also an Emigration Agent at some point. He later passed away in Paris in 1852.
In the late 1860s, significant additions were made to the home.
There are very few records on the home in the 1900s, but appears to have been used as a farm estate, with a wool shed that was used both as a dairy and a shearing shed. The home has cared for and fully restored.
The ten room mansion has lofty ceilings, paneled doors, cedar-mantled fireplaces and polished jarrah timber floors.
The house was listed in 2012 for $1,999,000 ~ $2,199,000 but has since been reduced to $1,800,000 ~ $1,960,000.
250 Peggy Buxton Road, Brukunga, South Australia
40 min drive to Adelaide CBD
Listing information and photos from Realestate.com.au