Old Linton

by AF

Linton Homestead, Yass
$3,000,000

‘Old Linton’ was originally called ‘Alfriston Cottage’ and was a spacious, yet simple home built in 1857 by ex-convict Moses Moses – a London born glass-cutter and son of a rabbi.

In 1877 it was purchased by James Peter Ritchie, a missionary, and named ‘Linton’ in recognition of Ritchie’s birthplace.

The house was added to, stage by stage, over the next century, with many of the additions carried out by its third owner, Arthur Bryant Triggs. Mr. Triggs, a grazier and collector, arrived in Sydney in 1887 from London. He moved to Yass one year later to work as an accountant at the local branch of the Bank of New South Wales. He married Maria Sophia, daughter of Mr. Ritchie, in 1892, and inherited the house upon her passing in 1898.

Linton was the first house in Yass to have electricity, which was provided by generator, and the first to have gas. The very first telephone in Yass was connected to Linton.

Old Linton in 1947 – National Archives of Australia

Triggs undertook many additions and alterations to Linton. By 1912 he had added a conservatory for his orchid collection, the library, billiard room, a cellar and a triple brick bedroom. The house was rendered and painted a deep red with white pointing. The interior was wallpapered and ceilings decorated with pressed tin and papier mache.

He amassed a large collection of valuable medieval manuscripts, Bibles, ancient coins, and other objets d’art, and intended to establish a small Dickens museum in Yass. He passed away at Linton in 1936. His collection of 2,500 rare coins was given to the Nicholson Museum of Antiquities at the University of Sydney. The contents of the house were sold in a notable 3-day auction in 1945.

Old Linton in 1947 – National Archives of Australia

In 1946, the home was acquired by the government and became a war veterans home. It was officially opened by Prince Henry, Duke of Gloucester. The home was used by the Returned and Services League until 1990 when they opened a new retirement village nearby. Linton then became known as “Old Linton.” The home was sold off to private buyers.

Veteran Soldiers at Linton homestead in 1947 – National Archives of Australia

Veteran soldiers playing pool at Linton homestead in 1947 – National Archives of Australia

The current owner purchased Old Linton in 2006 for $1.3 million and renovated the property. It is 1100 sqm (11,836 sqft) under roof and has 46 rooms, including a ballroom that can seat 100 people, a 17 meter dining room that can seta 50, billiard room, country kitchen, servants wing, butlers suite, library, 13 bedrooms and a self-contained 3-bedroom cottage. There are also stables with a loft, a glasshouse and machinery shed.

The house was built in the Federation Free style, while the garden is a transition between Federation and Edwardian Arts and Crafts style. The home features art deco bathrooms, Ar Nouveau window details, marble fireplaces, crystal chandeliers and glass skylights. The house is situated on a 5 acre lot. The house and garden is listed on the Register of the National Estate.

The sellers were originally looking for offers above $4.9 million, but have had it listed at $3 million since early 2011.

Location

22 Glebe Street, Yass, New South Wales, Australia
1hr drive to Canberra
3hr drive to Sydney Airport

Despite the price of the home, only very low quality images were provided for the listing.

Listing information from Realestate.com.au

Sources:
A.B. Triggs Biography
“Only Behind a Cloud”, Stephe Jitts

Advertisements