Old estates for sale

Celebrating the charming and character-filled historic properties for sale in Australia

Month: December, 2012

Mount Airlie Estate

Mount Airlie NSW 10

Mount Airlie, NSW
Auction

Mount Airlie is a grand Victorian residence dating from 1868.

It was the home of pioneer David Warden, who had arrived in Sydney from Scotland in 1837 and shortly after moved to Ulladulla to begin shipbuilding.  Mr. Warden was a prominent businessman and citizen and served as Shoalhaven Council Mayor between 1874 and 1877. Read the rest of this entry »

Advertisements

Rutherglen Distillery Ruins

Rutherglen Distillery
Sold

The ruins of a former brandy distillery dating from 1896 are for sale.

In the early 1890s, members of the Rutherglen Vinegrowers’ Association formed a wine company called the Rutherglen Wine  and Brandy Company to protect the reputation of the Rutherglen area. Many small growers were producing inferior product at the time, so the company decided they would purchase it to prevent it from hitting the market and turn it into brandy. In 1899, 2,000 gallons of brandy were sold in Melbourne. Read the rest of this entry »

Killarney Castle

Killarney Castle
Sold

Killarney Castle is a local landmark in Gordon. Built over several years using stone sourced from the site, the home was officially opened by Governor and Lady Davidson in 1918.

This was originally the home of Thomas Taylor, an immigrant from Ireland. Mr Taylor had purchased a much larger landholding but donated part of it to the local council to be used for parkland (now Richmond Park). He chose the site because it reminded him of the lakes of Killarney in southwest Ireland. The house was built on 2 acres, but due to subdividing over the years its current landholding is much smaller. Read the rest of this entry »

Once upon a time

Apartment 1, Once Upon A Time
$1,690,000

The top floor apartment in the 3-storey ‘Once Upon A Time’ unit block in Kurraba Point is on the market.

This building was designed by architect John Brogan and completed in 1935. It was originally the home of art collector W.A. Crowle and was part of the Wyldefel Gardens apartments on the opposite side of the harbor. In the 1940s, land reclamation by the Government meant that the house had to be demolished or removed, so in 1941 Crowle had the house moved piece by piece via a barge from Potts Point to its current location. He then commuted to the city in a launch housed in the boatshed on the ground floor. Read the rest of this entry »