Killarney Castle is a local landmark in Gordon. Built over several years using stone sourced from the site, the home was officially opened by Governor and Lady Davidson in 1918.
This was originally the home of Thomas Taylor, an immigrant from Ireland. Mr Taylor had purchased a much larger landholding but donated part of it to the local council to be used for parkland (now Richmond Park). He chose the site because it reminded him of the lakes of Killarney in southwest Ireland. The house was built on 2 acres, but due to subdividing over the years its current landholding is much smaller.
Mr. Taylor became insolvent and the house was sold to Alexander Cant in 1939. Mr. Cant sold the house one year later to Agnes Christiansen in 1940, who then sold it in 144 to the Gastineau-Hills family. The house and land remained intact until it was sold in 1969 to the Cave family who subdivided the land.
The house features a large open fireplace in the entrance hall, cast-iron spiral staircase, and has a district air raid shelter.
The house was listed for sale by expressions of interest, which closed on February 27, 2013, and was reported to have sold the following month.
It last sold in 2000 for $1.53 million. Although the price is not indicated, the search-by-price function on Realestate.com.au has it somewhere above $2.5 million.
The 5-bedroom house is on a 1,286 sqm block of land and has a total internal area of approximately 632 sqm.
According to Australian Property Monitors, the median house price in Gordon in the 12 months to September 2012 was $1,247,000. Gordon is 15 km north-west of Sydney’s CBD.
Listing information and images via Realestate.com.au
‘Killarney Castle’ Dictionary of Sydney, 2008.
NSW Government Environment & Heritage.