Broadlees, Adelaide Hills
Sold for $2.85 million
Broadlees is a grand 2-storey home located in the Adelaide Hills. The Georgian-style residence with Italian Renaissance influences was designed by architect Walter Bagot and built as the residence of of Eva and Lily Waite.
Eva and Lily were daughters of Peter Waite – the first chairman of Elder, Smith and Co (now agribusiness company Elders). The Waite family previously resided at Urrbrae House (c1891) until Peter’s death in 1922. The sisters donated the house to the University of Adelaide and built Broadlees. Many homes built in the Mount Lofty area at the time were used as summer residences, but the sisters decided to live there all year round.
It is said that they were far more concerned with the design of the gardens, rather than the house. Elsie Marion Cornish, a landscape gardener, had advised Eva Waite on her gardens, which were inspired by Gertrude Jekyll. To this day the 18-acre grounds are considered one of the most significant Jekyll-inspired landscapes in South Australia. The gardens were featured in the Australian Home Beautiful and South Australian Homes & Gardens magazines in 1932 and 1936.
In 1953, Lily passed away at the residence at the age of 80. Eva moved out one year later to Fuller Street in Adelaide.
The current sellers have had the house in their family for the past 3 decades.
The 7-bedroom house went to auction on March 20 with a quoted price guide of $2,950,000 ~ $3,245,000. It sold for $2.85 million.
It was previously listed in 2011.
20 ~ 25 minute drive from the Adelaide CBD
Listing information and images via Realestate.com.au