Old estates for sale

Celebrating the charming and character-filled historic properties for sale in Australia

Month: May, 2013

Ground floor in Del Rio

Del Rio, Elizabeth Bay
Sold

A 2-bedroom apartment in ‘Del Rio’ in Elizabeth Bay was listed this month with expectations of approximately $4.75 million. *Update: The apartment was reported to have sold on June 7 2013 for $4.25 million.

The waterfront apartment block was designed by architect J. Spencer Stansfield in 1928 and was one of the first Spanish Mission-style buildings in Elizabeth Bay. With just five apartments, it is rare to see one for sale. Last year, Apartment 2 sold for an undisclosed price (it was listed with expectations of $4 million-plus). Read the rest of this entry »

Advertisements

Althorne, Woollahra

Althorne, Woollahra
Auction

Althorne is a mid-Victorian Gothic villa dating from around 1872. It was first built on a 1.5 acre block by Mr. Walter M. Church on Lot 5 and part of Lot 6 of the Point Piper Estate. Further subdivisions of the land over the years have reduced its current size to a quarter of an acre. Read the rest of this entry »

Leggatts Coach House Hotel

Leggatts Coach House Hotel, Daylesford
$1,380,000

Leggatts Coach House Hotel (c1854) was built by Mr. Neil Leggatt and his wife Jessie to cater to the brisk trade from gold miners. The first gold was discovered in the area just three years earlier. The Leggatts emigrated to Australia from Scotland in the early 1850s. They settled in Daylesford and established a general storekeeping and gold-buying business before opening the Coach House Hotel.

The 2-storey building is situated on the banks of Lake Daylesford, although the lake did not exist until 1929 when a dam wall was created. The lake covers land upon which gold was first discovered. Read the rest of this entry »

Karori, Mount Macedon

Karori, Mount Macedon
POA

Karori was built in 1888 as the summer retreat of Charles William Chapman – a mining and pastoral investor from New Zealand. Chapman imported many materials for the house and trees for the garden. He also brought over Italian-born and NZ-based architect Louis Boldini to design the house, which bears some resemblance to the highly decorative wooden homes found in NZ. Boldini, who designed many buildings in Dunedin in the 1880s, also designed nearby guesthouse Braemar, in which Chapman also held a financial interest.  Read the rest of this entry »

Bathurst’s Blackdown Homestead

Blackdown Homestead
$3 million

After an unsuccessful auction in May, the historic Blackdown Homestead remains on the market.

Blackdown was first settled in 1823 by naval officer and pioneer Thomas Hawkins. Thomas was given a grant of 2,000 acres and appointed commissariat store-keeper in Bathurst, so he and his wife Elizabeth, their children, his mother-in-law and nine convicts set out with a wagon from Sydney to make the journey to Bathurst. The 220 km trek took them 18 days (nowadays the trip can be made in a 2.5 hour drive).  Read the rest of this entry »

An apartment in Engehurst

Apartment 8, Engehurst, Paddington
Sold

This ground floor apartment is part of the remnants of the original Engehurst residence in Paddington, Sydney. Engehurst was a Georgian house built in 1834-1835 for Frederick Augustus Hely. Mr. Hely was the principal superintendent of convicts and used convict labour to built his home.

The house, which was accessed via a long driveway from Glenmore Road, was designed by popular architect John Verge, who designed many other grand residences in and around Sydney in the 1830s and 1840s. Read the rest of this entry »

Jenner House, Potts Point

Jenner House, Potts Point
POA

The heritage-listed Jenner House (c1871), along with Bomera and Tarana just down the road, is one of the few surviving marine villas in Potts Point.

The site was part of the original 1866 subdivision of the Alexander Macleay 55 acre Elizabeth Bay estate. Lebbeus Hordern, brother of Anthony Hordern, acquired the 99 year lease to the site and commissioned colonial architect Edmund Blacket to design a 2-storey house in the Regency Revival style. The northern wing was originally the servants quarters. The house, called Stramshall, was later transferred to J. T. Neale in 1875.  Read the rest of this entry »