An apartment in Engehurst
Apartment 8, Engehurst, Paddington
This ground floor apartment is part of the remnants of the original Engehurst residence in Paddington, Sydney. Engehurst was a Georgian house built in 1834-1835 for Frederick Augustus Hely. Mr. Hely was the principal superintendent of convicts and used convict labour to built his home.
The house, which was accessed via a long driveway from Glenmore Road, was designed by popular architect John Verge, who designed many other grand residences in and around Sydney in the 1830s and 1840s.
Hely died in 1836 and his family sold the property in 1838 to Ebenezer Vickery who then on-sold it to Alderman John Elly Begg. Begg built the nearby mansion Olive Bank Villa on some of the Engehurst land (now the corner of Heeley and Olive streets). Begg’s son was said to have purchased Juniper Hall (c1825) in 1872.
Begg demolished most of Engehurst in 1878 to create Begg Street (now known as Ormond Street) which was part of the Olive Bank Estate subdivision. The remaining western portion, which had been sliced at an odd-angle to align with the new street was used as a single residence until the 1920s.
Robert H. Reynolds purchased the house and lived there until 1914. During his time, Reynolds made some additions. The house was then passed to accountant Phinechas Bear Selig. In 1922 it was converted into flats called “Silsoe Flats” and later “Craigieburn Flats”. A pair of flats were later built that flank each side of Engehurst.
Apartment 8 is a 2-bedroom apartment that has a direct entrance via Ormond Street. It features a basement which was possibly part of the original one carved out of solid rock.
It was listed in April 2013 with expectations above $950,000 and sold in May for $880,000.
Listing information and images via Realestate.com.au
NSW Government Environment & Heritage