Karori, Mount Macedon

by AF

Karori, Mount Macedon
POA

Karori was built in 1888 as the summer retreat of Charles William Chapman – a mining and pastoral investor from New Zealand. Chapman imported many materials for the house and trees for the garden. He also brought over Italian-born and NZ-based architect Louis Boldini to design the house, which bears some resemblance to the highly decorative wooden homes found in NZ. Boldini, who designed many buildings in Dunedin in the 1880s, also designed nearby guesthouse Braemar, in which Chapman also held a financial interest. 

Braemar Guesthouse

In 1898 the house was listed for sale and was purchased by Melbourne wool buyer Toussaint Dewez. The Dewez family had three gardeners and added many North American trees to the magnificent 6 acre grounds.

Dr. Robert Harbison and his wife Thelma purchased the house in 1972 and made some alterations including extending the service wing.

The current sellers have carefully restored the house, being mindful to preserve the original wood interior which features Kauri and Baltic pine lined walls, ceilings and floors. View some photos of the restoration project here.

The hillside town of Mount Macedon has one of the best collections of 19th century grand homes and exotic gardens in Australia.

1912 Postcard of Karori

Location

106 Devonshire Lane, Mount Macedon, Victoria

Listing information and images via Realestate.com.au

Sources:

Victorian Heritage Database

http://www.woodsolutions.com.au/Inspiration-Case-Study/restoring-timber-classic

Advertisements