Leggatts Coach House Hotel
Leggatts Coach House Hotel, Daylesford
Leggatts Coach House Hotel (c1854) was built by Mr. Neil Leggatt and his wife Jessie to cater to the brisk trade from gold miners. The first gold was discovered in the area just three years earlier. The Leggatts emigrated to Australia from Scotland in the early 1850s. They settled in Daylesford and established a general storekeeping and gold-buying business before opening the Coach House Hotel.
The 2-storey building is situated on the banks of Lake Daylesford, although the lake did not exist until 1929 when a dam wall was created. The lake covers land upon which gold was first discovered.
After Mr. Leggatt died in 1871, Mrs. Leggatt converted the hotel into her residence and the property has been used as a home since then.
Daylesford is a former gold mining town founded in 1852. It is 115 km north-west of Melbourne and has a population of around 3,000. The area is popular with tourists for its spas, retreats and mineral water springs. The region contains as much as 80% of all mineral springs in Victoria. In fact, Mr. Leggett discovered the Hard Hills Spring just behind their hotel.
Leggatt House is visible on the far right of each photo below:
The house was previously listed in 2009 with hopes of $2 million. It was re-listed in April 2013 for $1.38 million and and reported to already be under contract.
Listing information and images via Realestate.com.au
‘Leggatt’s Hotel a Daylesford icon’ The Weekly Times, February 11, 2009.