Old estates for sale

Celebrating the charming and character-filled historic properties for sale in Australia

Month: June, 2013

One of Victoria’s oldest homes up for auction

Wentworth House, Melbourne
Auction

Dating from 1842, Wentworth House is the second oldest surviving house in Victoria (the oldest is Emu Bottom in Sunbury dating from 1836). It was built for Dr. Farquhar McCrae, an early gentleman colonist and brother-in-law of painter and diarist Georgiana McCrae. The 110 hectare property was purchased from Arundel Wrighte, a superintendent of chain gangs in Launceston.  Read the rest of this entry »

Botanic Chambers Terrace in Adelaide

Botanic Chambers, Adelaide
Expressions of Interest

Botanic Chambers is a group of seven Victorian Italianate terrace houses which adjoin the Botanic Hotel. They were designed by architect Michael McMullen and built for Richard Vaughan in 1876 – 1877. Mr. Vaughan founded the East-End Market in nearby Rundle Street, and had also developed several other hotels and villas, including the Kensington Hotel. Read the rest of this entry »

Another listing in Manar, Potts Point

Apartment 24, Manar, Potts Point
Expressions of Interest

Another apartment has been listed in the Manar apartments in Potts Point. The 3-bedroom apartment has one bathroom and a laundry which may have been the original maid’s room. Read the rest of this entry »

Ivy Grange, Kew

Ivy Grange, Kew, Melbourne
POA

Ivy Grange has had several different uses over the past 149 years, but has only been the private residence to three families – the Vickers, Beaths and Lawlors.

Architect Charles Vickers built the basalt and cream brick gothic-style home as his personal residence in 1864. It was sold in 1873 to merchant David Beath, who named it Ivy Grange. Mr. Beath added the tower wing in 1877, and further additions were made by firm Reed, Henderson & Smart in 1885. Read the rest of this entry »

Manar, Potts Point

Apartment 21, Manar, Potts Point
POA

‘Manar’ has a history dating back to the 1840s when Hugh Gordon purchased the site, which was once part of the Alexander Macleay Estate. It was later sold to Alfred Lamb (1845-1890) who built Manar Cottage in 1867. Apparently the cottage was later demolished and replaced with a two-storey 20-bedroom Victorian Italianate Villa.

Mr. Lamb was one of the parliamentary representatives of West Sydney and had a lifelong connection with shipping and mercantile interests. He was the youngest son of John Lamb, of Spencer Lodge, Millers Point, and later Larbert Lodge in Darlinghurst. He lived at Manar until his death in 1890. Read the rest of this entry »