Ivy Grange, Kew
Ivy Grange, Kew, Melbourne
Ivy Grange has had several different uses over the past 149 years, but has only been the private residence to three families – the Vickers, Beaths and Lawlors.
Architect Charles Vickers built the basalt and cream brick gothic-style home as his personal residence in 1864. It was sold in 1873 to merchant David Beath, who named it Ivy Grange. Mr. Beath added the tower wing in 1877, and further additions were made by firm Reed, Henderson & Smart in 1885.
The house was later sold to Mr. and Mrs. J. Lawlor.
In 1926, the home became a private hospital and convalescent home, managed by matron K. M. Fitzgerald. A shortage of nursing staff threatened closure of the hospital in 1949, and the property was sold the following year for 17,000 pounds to the State Electricity Commission. The S.E.C. used it as a hostel for technical officers and draughtsmen brought from overseas to work in Melbourne in connection with the S.E.C.’s Kiewa Hydroelectric Scheme and Morwell projects.
The house has been operating as a guest house / rooming house since the 1970s. A heritage study in 1988 reported that ‘the current use is incompatible with this building and the interior has been very unsympathetically altered, while some of the external basalt and brickwork walls have been painted over.’
It was listed on the old Register of the National Estate.
The house was listed for sale in May with an undisclosed price. It has 41 bedrooms and just 5 bathrooms.
Listing information and images via Realestate.com.au