Old estates for sale

Celebrating the charming and character-filled historic properties for sale in Australia

Category: Brisbane

126-yr old Warriston Terrace House

Warriston, Brisbane
$1,150,000

Built in 1886, Warriston is a pair of two timber semi-detached houses with a common-roof.

The semi-detached homes were built for Brisbane alderman and former proprietor of the Glasgow Boot & Shoe Mart in Queen Street, David Pringle Milne. Mr. Milne purchased two adjoining blocks of land in 1866 and 1874 in the Bishop’s Hill and Petrie Terrace subdivision. Read the rest of this entry »

Advertisements

Another apartment in Craigston for sale

2A Craigston, Brisbane
For Sale by Tender

Another 3-bedroom apartment in the Spanish Mission-style Craigston (c1928) is on the market. The apartment is directly above the one listed a few months ago, which now appears to be under contract.

Due to changing tastes and styles over the past eight decades, each apartment is unique. Luckily this one retains most of its original features, including its crown molding, windows, doors and brick fireplace.

This apartment is for sale by tender, with offers due by November 22. Read the rest of this entry »

One of Brisbane’s oldest houses for sale

Eskgrove, East Brisbane
Sold

At almost 160 years old, Eskgrove is one of Brisbane’s oldest houses. The modest sandstone house was built for former Sydney bank manager Archibald Hepburn Hutchinson. Mr. Hutchinson purchased the land in 1853 from James Charles Burnett, surveyor and explorer, and built the house in the same year. At the time of completion, it was one of only three river estates along this section of the Brisbane River.

Mr. Hutchinson died at Eskgrove the year following its completion. His wife and children returned to Sydney shortly after and the house was rented out. During the late 1800s it had several prominent tenants including Brisbane Portmaster George Poynter Heath, who later went on to build more spacious digs at Hanworth, just 100 meters south of Eskgrove. Read the rest of this entry »

Milton’s Cook Terraces

No. 4 and No. 5 Cook Terraces, Brisbane
$1.79 & $1.9 million

There are currently two adjoining offices in the Cook Terraces listed for sale. This could present an opportunity to purchase both and combine them into one large office or residence.

The Cook Terraces were built in 1888 – 1889 by Joseph Blain Cook as an investment property to rent out to wealthy tenants. Cook acquired the land in 1888 from squatter John Frederick MacDougall and raised a mortgage of 6,000 pounds to finance construction.

They were originally built as rental-only terrace homes as the Queensland Undue Subdivision of Land Prevention Act of 1885 prohibited the granting of titles to individual terrace houses. The six 2-storey brick terrace houses with attics and sub floors were all designed with identical floor plans. Each house has two double chimneys and a detached two-storey timber service wing accessed from the rear verandah. Read the rest of this entry »

An apartment in General MacArthur’s Brisbane headquarters

MacArthur Chambers, Brisbane

MacArthur Chambers was originally the Queensland headquarters for the Australian Mutual Provident Society (or AMP Society) that was converted to luxury apartments just over 10 years ago. During WWII, General Douglas MacArthur set up his headquarters in the building.

The original AMP Society Building

The first AMP Building on this site was completed in 1885 and demolished in 1930 to make way for the current building. The original building was considered one of the most imposing and picturesque in the State, and there was some regret when it was demolished in the name of redevelopment. Read the rest of this entry »

Hanworth in East Brisbane

Hanworth in East Brisbane sold in August for $2,025,000.

*Update: The home was severely damaged in a fire overnight on March 18~19, 2013. The fire took 2 1/2 hours to get under control. The new owners had started renovating the property shortly after their purchase in 2012 and renovations were said to still be underway in 2013. Luckily no one was in the home when the fire broke out. – See the full article in the Brisbane Times here.

The owners had submitted an application for a permissible change of use to the Brisbane City Council in December 2012 to convert the house/hospice into a women-only boarding house, which would only involve minimal changes such as painting and installing new floor finishes. No doors, walls or windows would need to be removed or changed under their proposal. However, on March 15 2013, the owners formally withdrew their application.

Built in 1864-1865, it is one of the fine riverine estates that lined the Brisbane River in the mid-19th century and is believed to be one of Brisbane’s oldest homes.

The heritage listed property was designed by James Cowlishaw and was built for Captain George Poynter Heath – the Portmaster of Brisbane in the 1870s and 1880s. Captain Heath had purchased the land in 1863. He named the house “Hanworth” after his hometown in Norfolk.

The low-set home was primarily constructed out of hand-made bricks. There is also an attic at the southern end of the house with gable windows from which Captain Heath was able to keep a lookout for boats. The Captain and his wife held many social gatherings and honored many guests in their home. Read the rest of this entry »

Craigston apartment back on the market

A 2-bedroom apartment (3 if you include the sunroom) in Spring Hill’s ‘Craigston’ was listed for tender earlier this month but is back on the market with an open house on September 1. This 150 sqm apartment originally covered the entire 1st floor but was split into two units some time ago. See below for images of this unit.

Craigston was built in 1928 and at the time was Brisbane’s first high-rise apartment building. The Spanish-Mission style building is located on Wickham Terrace in Brisbane’s Spring Hill, and overlooks King Edward Park and the historic Old Windmill (the oldest surviving building in Queensland). It was designed by architect Arnold Conrad, who was a partner at Conrad Gagett Architecture, and developed by a doctor as a building that would house doctors and their families, while providing clinics on the ground floor. Many clinics still operate from the 1st floor. Read the rest of this entry »