Old estates for sale

Celebrating the charming and character-filled historic properties for sale in Australia

Category: For Sale

Botanic Chambers Terrace in Adelaide

Botanic Chambers, Adelaide
Expressions of Interest

Botanic Chambers is a group of seven Victorian Italianate terrace houses which adjoin the Botanic Hotel. They were designed by architect Michael McMullen and built for Richard Vaughan in 1876 – 1877. Mr. Vaughan founded the East-End Market in nearby Rundle Street, and had also developed several other hotels and villas, including the Kensington Hotel. Read the rest of this entry »

Another listing in Manar, Potts Point

Apartment 24, Manar, Potts Point
Expressions of Interest

Another apartment has been listed in the Manar apartments in Potts Point. The 3-bedroom apartment has one bathroom and a laundry which may have been the original maid’s room. Read the rest of this entry »

Ivy Grange, Kew

Ivy Grange, Kew, Melbourne
POA

Ivy Grange has had several different uses over the past 149 years, but has only been the private residence to three families – the Vickers, Beaths and Lawlors.

Architect Charles Vickers built the basalt and cream brick gothic-style home as his personal residence in 1864. It was sold in 1873 to merchant David Beath, who named it Ivy Grange. Mr. Beath added the tower wing in 1877, and further additions were made by firm Reed, Henderson & Smart in 1885. Read the rest of this entry »

Manar, Potts Point

Apartment 21, Manar, Potts Point
POA

‘Manar’ has a history dating back to the 1840s when Hugh Gordon purchased the site, which was once part of the Alexander Macleay Estate. It was later sold to Alfred Lamb (1845-1890) who built Manar Cottage in 1867. Apparently the cottage was later demolished and replaced with a two-storey 20-bedroom Victorian Italianate Villa.

Mr. Lamb was one of the parliamentary representatives of West Sydney and had a lifelong connection with shipping and mercantile interests. He was the youngest son of John Lamb, of Spencer Lodge, Millers Point, and later Larbert Lodge in Darlinghurst. He lived at Manar until his death in 1890. Read the rest of this entry »

Leggatts Coach House Hotel

Leggatts Coach House Hotel, Daylesford
$1,380,000

Leggatts Coach House Hotel (c1854) was built by Mr. Neil Leggatt and his wife Jessie to cater to the brisk trade from gold miners. The first gold was discovered in the area just three years earlier. The Leggatts emigrated to Australia from Scotland in the early 1850s. They settled in Daylesford and established a general storekeeping and gold-buying business before opening the Coach House Hotel.

The 2-storey building is situated on the banks of Lake Daylesford, although the lake did not exist until 1929 when a dam wall was created. The lake covers land upon which gold was first discovered. Read the rest of this entry »

Karori, Mount Macedon

Karori, Mount Macedon
POA

Karori was built in 1888 as the summer retreat of Charles William Chapman – a mining and pastoral investor from New Zealand. Chapman imported many materials for the house and trees for the garden. He also brought over Italian-born and NZ-based architect Louis Boldini to design the house, which bears some resemblance to the highly decorative wooden homes found in NZ. Boldini, who designed many buildings in Dunedin in the 1880s, also designed nearby guesthouse Braemar, in which Chapman also held a financial interest.  Read the rest of this entry »

Bathurst’s Blackdown Homestead

Blackdown Homestead
$3 million

After an unsuccessful auction in May, the historic Blackdown Homestead remains on the market.

Blackdown was first settled in 1823 by naval officer and pioneer Thomas Hawkins. Thomas was given a grant of 2,000 acres and appointed commissariat store-keeper in Bathurst, so he and his wife Elizabeth, their children, his mother-in-law and nine convicts set out with a wagon from Sydney to make the journey to Bathurst. The 220 km trek took them 18 days (nowadays the trip can be made in a 2.5 hour drive).  Read the rest of this entry »

Jenner House, Potts Point

Jenner House, Potts Point
POA

The heritage-listed Jenner House (c1871), along with Bomera and Tarana just down the road, is one of the few surviving marine villas in Potts Point.

The site was part of the original 1866 subdivision of the Alexander Macleay 55 acre Elizabeth Bay estate. Lebbeus Hordern, brother of Anthony Hordern, acquired the 99 year lease to the site and commissioned colonial architect Edmund Blacket to design a 2-storey house in the Regency Revival style. The northern wing was originally the servants quarters. The house, called Stramshall, was later transferred to J. T. Neale in 1875.  Read the rest of this entry »

Old Geelong Grammar School

Old Geelong Grammar School
$2,100,000

The former Geelong Grammar School is a Tudor Gothic style building dating from 1857-1858. It was designed by architects Backhouse and Reynolds and built of rendered bluestone and basalt.

The school went bankrupt only two years after completion, but was reopened in 1863. The school eventually moved to a new 400 acre site at Corio and the building was sold to the Geelong City Council in 1914. The Council had planned to convert it into a town hall, but the onset of WWI led to the land being subdivided and sold off. Read the rest of this entry »

Blair Athol, Bathurst

Blair Athol, Bathurst
$2,950,000

Blair Athol (c1891-1892) was built as the home of solicitor and Bathurst Council Mayor John McPhillamy and his family. Mr. and Mrs. McPhillamy lived in the home with their son and three daughters. One of their daughters – Majorie – went on to marry Lord Abinger (Hugh Scarlett) of Inverlochy Castle in 1913.

By the 1930s, the house was owned by Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Gilmour – another prominent Bathurst family. Their daughter, Una Gilmour, was also married to royalty (albeit briefly) as she married Count Marcio Vincenzo Romano while travelling in Europe.  Read the rest of this entry »