Old estates for sale

Celebrating the charming and character-filled historic properties for sale in Australia

Category: Gothic

Ivy Grange, Kew

Ivy Grange, Kew, Melbourne
POA

Ivy Grange has had several different uses over the past 149 years, but has only been the private residence to three families – the Vickers, Beaths and Lawlors.

Architect Charles Vickers built the basalt and cream brick gothic-style home as his personal residence in 1864. It was sold in 1873 to merchant David Beath, who named it Ivy Grange. Mr. Beath added the tower wing in 1877, and further additions were made by firm Reed, Henderson & Smart in 1885. Read the rest of this entry »

Althorne, Woollahra

Althorne, Woollahra
Auction

Althorne is a mid-Victorian Gothic villa dating from around 1872. It was first built on a 1.5 acre block by Mr. Walter M. Church on Lot 5 and part of Lot 6 of the Point Piper Estate. Further subdivisions of the land over the years have reduced its current size to a quarter of an acre. Read the rest of this entry »

Old Geelong Grammar School

Old Geelong Grammar School
$2,100,000

The former Geelong Grammar School is a Tudor Gothic style building dating from 1857-1858. It was designed by architects Backhouse and Reynolds and built of rendered bluestone and basalt.

The school went bankrupt only two years after completion, but was reopened in 1863. The school eventually moved to a new 400 acre site at Corio and the building was sold to the Geelong City Council in 1914. The Council had planned to convert it into a town hall, but the onset of WWI led to the land being subdivided and sold off. Read the rest of this entry »

Blair Athol in Brighton

Blair Athol Estate 2

Blair Athol, Brighton
Sold

Blair Athol was built in 1872 for Mr. and Mrs. Archibald Menzies – hoteliers who owned the Menzies Hotel on the corner of Bourke and William Streets in the Melbourne CBD.

The two-storey home was designed by Lloyd Taylor, who also designed ‘Chevy Chase’ and ‘Kamesburgh’ and was inspired by a house in the modern gothic or modernised domestic gothic style that appeared in Villas and Cottages by H W Paul and Oliver Ayliffe (1864-1865). Read the rest of this entry »

Bishops Palace, Ballarat

Bishops Palace, Ballarat
$6,500,000

Bishops Palace was built in 1877 as the residence of Bishop Michael O’Connor – the first bishop of the Diocese of Ballarat – and to provide space for the diocesan headquarters. The Ballarat Diocese was the first Victorian diocese outside of Melbourne and had opened the St Patrick’s Cathedral across the street from the palace just six years earlier.

The 2-storey Gothic bluestone mansion was designed by Reed and Barnes and built at a cost of £6,000. It was constructed by George Broom with internal plasterwork by William Taylor. It featured cast iron verandahs with ecclesiastical designs, a private chapel with an Italian marble altar and a dining room that could seat fifty guests. Read the rest of this entry »