Apartments 17 and 22
Miami (former Beulah Flats), Kirribilli
Two apartments in the historic Beulah Flats building (now ‘Miami’) will go to auction next month.
Beulah Flats was built in 1908 for Helena C. White (Countess Morner and Marquise de Ruvigny) and designed by architect Roscoe J. Collins. It was one of the first high-rises on the Sydney Harbour foreshore and one of Kirribilli’s largest and earliest flats. The land was purchased from the Beulah Estate subdivision.
The five story building was built in the Federation Romanesque style. It originally had 171 rooms, a basement floor at water level with semi-circular windows, resident lounge, billiard room, dining room and private sea baths. There was also a 10,000 sqft rooftop garden. Many flats had beautiful vistas of the harbor, which were later enhanced by the completion of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1932 and the Opera House in 1973. Read the rest of this entry »