Old estates for sale

Celebrating the charming and character-filled historic properties for sale in Australia

Category: Heritage Homes

Botanic Chambers Terrace in Adelaide

Botanic Chambers, Adelaide
Expressions of Interest

Botanic Chambers is a group of seven Victorian Italianate terrace houses which adjoin the Botanic Hotel. They were designed by architect Michael McMullen and built for Richard Vaughan in 1876 – 1877. Mr. Vaughan founded the East-End Market in nearby Rundle Street, and had also developed several other hotels and villas, including the Kensington Hotel. Read the rest of this entry »

Ivy Grange, Kew

Ivy Grange, Kew, Melbourne
POA

Ivy Grange has had several different uses over the past 149 years, but has only been the private residence to three families – the Vickers, Beaths and Lawlors.

Architect Charles Vickers built the basalt and cream brick gothic-style home as his personal residence in 1864. It was sold in 1873 to merchant David Beath, who named it Ivy Grange. Mr. Beath added the tower wing in 1877, and further additions were made by firm Reed, Henderson & Smart in 1885. Read the rest of this entry »

Althorne, Woollahra

Althorne, Woollahra
Auction

Althorne is a mid-Victorian Gothic villa dating from around 1872. It was first built on a 1.5 acre block by Mr. Walter M. Church on Lot 5 and part of Lot 6 of the Point Piper Estate. Further subdivisions of the land over the years have reduced its current size to a quarter of an acre. Read the rest of this entry »

Karori, Mount Macedon

Karori, Mount Macedon
POA

Karori was built in 1888 as the summer retreat of Charles William Chapman – a mining and pastoral investor from New Zealand. Chapman imported many materials for the house and trees for the garden. He also brought over Italian-born and NZ-based architect Louis Boldini to design the house, which bears some resemblance to the highly decorative wooden homes found in NZ. Boldini, who designed many buildings in Dunedin in the 1880s, also designed nearby guesthouse Braemar, in which Chapman also held a financial interest.  Read the rest of this entry »

Bathurst’s Blackdown Homestead

Blackdown Homestead
$3 million

After an unsuccessful auction in May, the historic Blackdown Homestead remains on the market.

Blackdown was first settled in 1823 by naval officer and pioneer Thomas Hawkins. Thomas was given a grant of 2,000 acres and appointed commissariat store-keeper in Bathurst, so he and his wife Elizabeth, their children, his mother-in-law and nine convicts set out with a wagon from Sydney to make the journey to Bathurst. The 220 km trek took them 18 days (nowadays the trip can be made in a 2.5 hour drive).  Read the rest of this entry »

Jenner House, Potts Point

Jenner House, Potts Point
POA

The heritage-listed Jenner House (c1871), along with Bomera and Tarana just down the road, is one of the few surviving marine villas in Potts Point.

The site was part of the original 1866 subdivision of the Alexander Macleay 55 acre Elizabeth Bay estate. Lebbeus Hordern, brother of Anthony Hordern, acquired the 99 year lease to the site and commissioned colonial architect Edmund Blacket to design a 2-storey house in the Regency Revival style. The northern wing was originally the servants quarters. The house, called Stramshall, was later transferred to J. T. Neale in 1875.  Read the rest of this entry »

Old Geelong Grammar School

Old Geelong Grammar School
$2,100,000

The former Geelong Grammar School is a Tudor Gothic style building dating from 1857-1858. It was designed by architects Backhouse and Reynolds and built of rendered bluestone and basalt.

The school went bankrupt only two years after completion, but was reopened in 1863. The school eventually moved to a new 400 acre site at Corio and the building was sold to the Geelong City Council in 1914. The Council had planned to convert it into a town hall, but the onset of WWI led to the land being subdivided and sold off. Read the rest of this entry »

Blair Athol in Brighton

Blair Athol Estate 2

Blair Athol, Brighton
Sold

Blair Athol was built in 1872 for Mr. and Mrs. Archibald Menzies – hoteliers who owned the Menzies Hotel on the corner of Bourke and William Streets in the Melbourne CBD.

The two-storey home was designed by Lloyd Taylor, who also designed ‘Chevy Chase’ and ‘Kamesburgh’ and was inspired by a house in the modern gothic or modernised domestic gothic style that appeared in Villas and Cottages by H W Paul and Oliver Ayliffe (1864-1865). Read the rest of this entry »

Ravenswood Terrace

Ravenswood, Sydney
Sold

Ravenswood is a 2-storey mid-Victorian terrace overlooking Prince Alfred Park in central Sydney. The terrace was originally one-half of a pair that were built sometime after 1875. Its partner has since been demolished, and the single house is now sandwiched between a 6-storey and 10-storey building.

Original features such as the Kauri floors, cedar doors, staircase and marble fireplaces remain. Read the rest of this entry »

Lethington to be sold at auction

Lethington, Summer Hill
Update: SOLD for $2,305,000

Lethington, a grand residence in Sydney’s Summer Hill, is going up for auction in March. The Victorian Free Classical / Italianate Gentleman’s Residence was built by William Fowler in 1883.

Mr. Fowler sold the house a year later to M.B. Bowen, but moved back into the home by 1892, possibly having purchased it when it was up for sale in 1888. It was described in the 1888 sale listing as a large modern residence, faithfully built, with stables, coach house, loft, man’s room, vegetable garden, orchard and paddock. The Fowler family are presumed to have named the house ‘Lethington’ in 1894. Read the rest of this entry »