Old estates for sale

Celebrating the charming and character-filled historic properties for sale in Australia

Category: Interwar Period

Another listing in Manar, Potts Point

Apartment 24, Manar, Potts Point
Expressions of Interest

Another apartment has been listed in the Manar apartments in Potts Point. The 3-bedroom apartment has one bathroom and a laundry which may have been the original maid’s room. Read the rest of this entry »

Manar, Potts Point

Apartment 21, Manar, Potts Point
POA

‘Manar’ has a history dating back to the 1840s when Hugh Gordon purchased the site, which was once part of the Alexander Macleay Estate. It was later sold to Alfred Lamb (1845-1890) who built Manar Cottage in 1867. Apparently the cottage was later demolished and replaced with a two-storey 20-bedroom Victorian Italianate Villa.

Mr. Lamb was one of the parliamentary representatives of West Sydney and had a lifelong connection with shipping and mercantile interests. He was the youngest son of John Lamb, of Spencer Lodge, Millers Point, and later Larbert Lodge in Darlinghurst. He lived at Manar until his death in 1890. Read the rest of this entry »

2-bedroom in Carinthia

Carinthia, Potts Point, Sydney
Sold

A 2-bedroom apartment in Carinthia has recently been listed for sale seeking offers above $540,000 (*Update: It has since sold). The 90 sqm unit appears to be at street level at the rear of the building and looks onto Earl Street.

The 11-storey Inter-war free classical style apartment block was built in 1925-1926 by architect Walter Leslie Nielsen. Mr. Nielsen also designed Carisbrooke in the same street, and Franconia in Macleay Street. The 40-unit building was originally built as an investment property, but apartments were later sold off to individual buyers.  Read the rest of this entry »

Dungowan Flats Auction

Apartment 17, Dungowan Flats, Manly
Sold

A 2-bedroom flat in the historic ‘Dungowan’ on Manly Beach will be put up for auction in early December. *Update: The apartment has been sold.

Dungowan Flats was built in 1919 by pastoralist and company director Leslie Sprague. He named the building after his rural property ‘Dungowan Station’ near Tamworth.  Read the rest of this entry »

Two apartments for sale in Darnley Hall

Apts 7 & 10, Darnley Hall

Two 3-bedroom apartments in Darnley Hall are currently on the market.

The neo-Georgian style apartment block dates from the 1920s and was designed by architects Sir Charles Rosenthal and Harry Cooper Day. Although the building does not appear to be heritage listed, it is recognized by the RAIA in their 20th century register of significant buildings. Read the rest of this entry »

Duplex in The Astor

801, The Astor, Sydney
POA

A two-floor residence in The Astor was listed for sale recently at an undisclosed price.

The Astor was built in 1922 – 1923 as a luxuriously appointed residential tower. It was developed by grazier John O’Brien, who had previously developed Wyoming further along Macquarie Street. Mr. O’Brien had purchased the site which contained several houses and flats in 1920 for 11,900 pounds.

Architects Donald Thomas Esplin and Stuart Mill Mould designed the 12-storey building in an Interwar Free Classical style. When completed, it was said to have been the highest reinforced concrete building in Australia. With the exception of the glass in the windows, the building materials were all sourced from within Australia. Read the rest of this entry »

Carinthia, Potts Point

Apartment 25, Carinthia
SOLD

Carinthia is a block of flats built in 1925 – 1926 in Sydney’s Potts Point. The building was designed in the Inter-war Free Classical style by architect Walter Leslie Nielsen. Not much is known about Mr. Nielsen, although he did design the highly similar Carisbrooke (two doors down at No. 11) as well as Franconia in Macleay Street.

The 11 storey building originally had 40 flats. The interiors in the common areas, including the lobby and corridors remain highly original and feature timber panelling and herringbone parquet flooring. There are also two original lifts with timber panelling, brass button panels and steel gates. Read the rest of this entry »

Maleny mountain retreat

Kunda / Rowan House, Mount Mellum
$1,295,000

Kunda House (aka Rowan House) is a 1940s hillside chalet just outside of Maleny on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast. It was designed by Brisbane architect John Gerard (Gerry) Trude and built in 1939 for Jim and Iris Kerr and their family.

Many of the original features of the home remain intact, including the stone fireplace built from local rubble stone. Other original details include walls and some ceilings finished in clear lacquered Queensland timber and the original tennis court which the Kerr’s often opened to the public. Read the rest of this entry »

Wrecking ball to swing on Cabana Apartments in Kirribilli (or will it?)

Built in 1947, the Cabana Apartments were (possibly mistakenly) designated as a heritage item of regional significance under the North Sydney Local Environment Plan. Described as a relatively rare design of an Inter-War Functionalist style building, the white stucco and moderne P&O theme was denounced as having ‘no distinctive features’ and downgraded last year when the owner argued that the building was not significant. [Note: although not technically an inter-war building, this style of architecture continued in Sydney until the late 1940s due to a shortage of materials.]

The 8 flats were gradually bought up by Sandoval Investments, who had paid approximately $450,000 per apartment in 2001 and 2002. The last apartment sold in 2006 for $1.1 million. Sandoval submitted a development application in 2006 to demolish the building and replace it with a luxury low-rise apartment building, but the application was refused on the grounds that the current building was of historical significance, and that the proposed design was not sympathetic to the area. Read the rest of this entry »

Wyldefel Gardens streamline moderne apartment

Apartment 18, Wyldefel Gardens
SOLD

*Update: The apartment sold for $1,050,000.

Wyldefel Gardens is a streamline moderne art deco complex that cascades down its sloping block in Potts Point.

The complex was built in 1936 by prominent art collector W.A. Crowle and his architect John Brogan.

Crowle had lived in the grand mansion ‘Wyldefel House’ which stood at the top of the block. It was built in 1887 by Walter Hall, and sold to Mr. Crowle in 1923. Wyldefel House was demolished in the 1960s and replaced with what Mrs. Crowle described as an ‘ugly block of units’. Read the rest of this entry »