$25 million +
The finest Gothic Revival house in New South Wales may finally be put up for sale. Bishopscourt has been the home of Sydney’s Anglican Archibishops since 1911, but its history extends back to the 1840s when it was a grand gentleman’s residence.
The sandstone mansion was originally a smaller 2-storey cottage called Percyville built in 1841 by ironmonger Thomas Woolley. In 1845, businessman Thomas Sutcliffe Mort leased the land and purchased the cottage and 2.8 hectare estate the following year for 2,500 pounds. Mr. Mort was a pioneer of weekly wool auctions and the refrigeration of food. He was also one of the founders of the AMP Society.
Mort, along with architect J.F. Hilly, transformed the cottage into a gentleman’s residence in 1846 and named it Greenoaks. Later additions were made by Edmund Blacket in 1859 and Professor Leslie Wilkinson in 1935. Read the rest of this entry »