Bishops Palace, Ballarat
Bishops Palace was built in 1877 as the residence of Bishop Michael O’Connor – the first bishop of the Diocese of Ballarat – and to provide space for the diocesan headquarters. The Ballarat Diocese was the first Victorian diocese outside of Melbourne and had opened the St Patrick’s Cathedral across the street from the palace just six years earlier.
The 2-storey Gothic bluestone mansion was designed by Reed and Barnes and built at a cost of £6,000. It was constructed by George Broom with internal plasterwork by William Taylor. It featured cast iron verandahs with ecclesiastical designs, a private chapel with an Italian marble altar and a dining room that could seat fifty guests. Read the rest of this entry »