Old estates for sale

Celebrating the charming and character-filled historic properties for sale in Australia

Category: Sold

Ground floor in Del Rio

Del Rio, Elizabeth Bay
Sold

A 2-bedroom apartment in ‘Del Rio’ in Elizabeth Bay was listed this month with expectations of approximately $4.75 million. *Update: The apartment was reported to have sold on June 7 2013 for $4.25 million.

The waterfront apartment block was designed by architect J. Spencer Stansfield in 1928 and was one of the first Spanish Mission-style buildings in Elizabeth Bay. With just five apartments, it is rare to see one for sale. Last year, Apartment 2 sold for an undisclosed price (it was listed with expectations of $4 million-plus). Read the rest of this entry »

Advertisements

Blair Athol in Brighton

Blair Athol Estate 2

Blair Athol, Brighton
Sold

Blair Athol was built in 1872 for Mr. and Mrs. Archibald Menzies – hoteliers who owned the Menzies Hotel on the corner of Bourke and William Streets in the Melbourne CBD.

The two-storey home was designed by Lloyd Taylor, who also designed ‘Chevy Chase’ and ‘Kamesburgh’ and was inspired by a house in the modern gothic or modernised domestic gothic style that appeared in Villas and Cottages by H W Paul and Oliver Ayliffe (1864-1865). Read the rest of this entry »

Bomera sells for half price

According to Property Observer, the 150+ year old Bomera mansion on Potts Point has sold for $12.5 million – half of the original asking price of $25 million. The house has been listed since early 2011.

The sellers purchased Bomera and neighbouring Tarana from the Defence Department in 2000 for $6.55 million. They received an offer of $15 million on Bomera a few years after their purchase, but turned it down.

The astute buyer is the daughter of the founder of RP Data – an online provider of real estate information and valuations.

2-bedroom in Carinthia

Carinthia, Potts Point, Sydney
Sold

A 2-bedroom apartment in Carinthia has recently been listed for sale seeking offers above $540,000 (*Update: It has since sold). The 90 sqm unit appears to be at street level at the rear of the building and looks onto Earl Street.

The 11-storey Inter-war free classical style apartment block was built in 1925-1926 by architect Walter Leslie Nielsen. Mr. Nielsen also designed Carisbrooke in the same street, and Franconia in Macleay Street. The 40-unit building was originally built as an investment property, but apartments were later sold off to individual buyers.  Read the rest of this entry »

Broadlees

Broadlees, Adelaide Hills
Sold for $2.85 million

Broadlees is a grand 2-storey home located in the Adelaide Hills. The Georgian-style residence with Italian Renaissance influences was designed by architect Walter Bagot and built as the residence of of Eva and Lily Waite.

Eva and Lily were daughters of Peter Waite – the first chairman of Elder, Smith and Co (now agribusiness company Elders). The Waite family previously resided at Urrbrae House (c1891) until Peter’s death in 1922. The sisters donated the house to the University of Adelaide and built Broadlees. Many homes built in the Mount Lofty area at the time were used as summer residences, but the sisters decided to live there all year round. Read the rest of this entry »

Ravenswood Terrace

Ravenswood, Sydney
Sold

Ravenswood is a 2-storey mid-Victorian terrace overlooking Prince Alfred Park in central Sydney. The terrace was originally one-half of a pair that were built sometime after 1875. Its partner has since been demolished, and the single house is now sandwiched between a 6-storey and 10-storey building.

Original features such as the Kauri floors, cedar doors, staircase and marble fireplaces remain. Read the rest of this entry »

Lethington to be sold at auction

Lethington, Summer Hill
Update: SOLD for $2,305,000

Lethington, a grand residence in Sydney’s Summer Hill, is going up for auction in March. The Victorian Free Classical / Italianate Gentleman’s Residence was built by William Fowler in 1883.

Mr. Fowler sold the house a year later to M.B. Bowen, but moved back into the home by 1892, possibly having purchased it when it was up for sale in 1888. It was described in the 1888 sale listing as a large modern residence, faithfully built, with stables, coach house, loft, man’s room, vegetable garden, orchard and paddock. The Fowler family are presumed to have named the house ‘Lethington’ in 1894. Read the rest of this entry »

Fortuna Villa still seeking buyer

Fortuna Villa, Bendigo’s most elaborate mansion, failed to receive a satisfactory offer during its sale-by-tender campaign which ended on December 7. A total of six tenders were received prior to the deadline, but did not meet expectations. A further three tenders were made after the deadline but were not opened.

The Defence Department will review marketing options and place the historic 60-room mansion back on the market this year. It was reported earlier that they were hoping for offers of around $3 million, however Labor’s Federal Member for Bendigo, Steve Gibbons, believes this figure is too high.

*Update: The villa was reported to have sold at auction on April 12, 2013, for $3,000,000, but the sale fell through. It later sold to a private individual for $2.21 million

Read more about Fortuna here.

Sources:
Historic Bendigo mansion up for sale again, ABC News, January 4, 2013.
Bendigo’s Fortuna Villa fails to sell, Bendigo Advertiser, January 3, 2013.

Rutherglen Distillery Ruins

Rutherglen Distillery
Sold

The ruins of a former brandy distillery dating from 1896 are for sale.

In the early 1890s, members of the Rutherglen Vinegrowers’ Association formed a wine company called the Rutherglen Wine  and Brandy Company to protect the reputation of the Rutherglen area. Many small growers were producing inferior product at the time, so the company decided they would purchase it to prevent it from hitting the market and turn it into brandy. In 1899, 2,000 gallons of brandy were sold in Melbourne. Read the rest of this entry »

Killarney Castle

Killarney Castle
Sold

Killarney Castle is a local landmark in Gordon. Built over several years using stone sourced from the site, the home was officially opened by Governor and Lady Davidson in 1918.

This was originally the home of Thomas Taylor, an immigrant from Ireland. Mr Taylor had purchased a much larger landholding but donated part of it to the local council to be used for parkland (now Richmond Park). He chose the site because it reminded him of the lakes of Killarney in southwest Ireland. The house was built on 2 acres, but due to subdividing over the years its current landholding is much smaller. Read the rest of this entry »