Old Geelong Grammar School
The former Geelong Grammar School is a Tudor Gothic style building dating from 1857-1858. It was designed by architects Backhouse and Reynolds and built of rendered bluestone and basalt.
The school went bankrupt only two years after completion, but was reopened in 1863. The school eventually moved to a new 400 acre site at Corio and the building was sold to the Geelong City Council in 1914. The Council had planned to convert it into a town hall, but the onset of WWI led to the land being subdivided and sold off. Read the rest of this entry »