Old estates for sale

Celebrating the charming and character-filled historic properties for sale in Australia

Category: Victorian Style

Botanic Chambers Terrace in Adelaide

Botanic Chambers, Adelaide
Expressions of Interest

Botanic Chambers is a group of seven Victorian Italianate terrace houses which adjoin the Botanic Hotel. They were designed by architect Michael McMullen and built for Richard Vaughan in 1876 – 1877. Mr. Vaughan founded the East-End Market in nearby Rundle Street, and had also developed several other hotels and villas, including the Kensington Hotel. Read the rest of this entry »

Althorne, Woollahra

Althorne, Woollahra
Auction

Althorne is a mid-Victorian Gothic villa dating from around 1872. It was first built on a 1.5 acre block by Mr. Walter M. Church on Lot 5 and part of Lot 6 of the Point Piper Estate. Further subdivisions of the land over the years have reduced its current size to a quarter of an acre. Read the rest of this entry »

Blair Athol, Bathurst

Blair Athol, Bathurst
$2,950,000

Blair Athol (c1891-1892) was built as the home of solicitor and Bathurst Council Mayor John McPhillamy and his family. Mr. and Mrs. McPhillamy lived in the home with their son and three daughters. One of their daughters – Majorie – went on to marry Lord Abinger (Hugh Scarlett) of Inverlochy Castle in 1913.

By the 1930s, the house was owned by Mr. and Mrs. R.L. Gilmour – another prominent Bathurst family. Their daughter, Una Gilmour, was also married to royalty (albeit briefly) as she married Count Marcio Vincenzo Romano while travelling in Europe.  Read the rest of this entry »

Ravenswood Terrace

Ravenswood, Sydney
Sold

Ravenswood is a 2-storey mid-Victorian terrace overlooking Prince Alfred Park in central Sydney. The terrace was originally one-half of a pair that were built sometime after 1875. Its partner has since been demolished, and the single house is now sandwiched between a 6-storey and 10-storey building.

Original features such as the Kauri floors, cedar doors, staircase and marble fireplaces remain. Read the rest of this entry »

Lethington to be sold at auction

Lethington, Summer Hill
Update: SOLD for $2,305,000

Lethington, a grand residence in Sydney’s Summer Hill, is going up for auction in March. The Victorian Free Classical / Italianate Gentleman’s Residence was built by William Fowler in 1883.

Mr. Fowler sold the house a year later to M.B. Bowen, but moved back into the home by 1892, possibly having purchased it when it was up for sale in 1888. It was described in the 1888 sale listing as a large modern residence, faithfully built, with stables, coach house, loft, man’s room, vegetable garden, orchard and paddock. The Fowler family are presumed to have named the house ‘Lethington’ in 1894. Read the rest of this entry »

Fortuna Villa still seeking buyer

Fortuna Villa, Bendigo’s most elaborate mansion, failed to receive a satisfactory offer during its sale-by-tender campaign which ended on December 7. A total of six tenders were received prior to the deadline, but did not meet expectations. A further three tenders were made after the deadline but were not opened.

The Defence Department will review marketing options and place the historic 60-room mansion back on the market this year. It was reported earlier that they were hoping for offers of around $3 million, however Labor’s Federal Member for Bendigo, Steve Gibbons, believes this figure is too high.

*Update: The villa was reported to have sold at auction on April 12, 2013, for $3,000,000, but the sale fell through. It later sold to a private individual for $2.21 million

Read more about Fortuna here.

Sources:
Historic Bendigo mansion up for sale again, ABC News, January 4, 2013.
Bendigo’s Fortuna Villa fails to sell, Bendigo Advertiser, January 3, 2013.

Mount Airlie Estate

Mount Airlie NSW 10

Mount Airlie, NSW
Auction

Mount Airlie is a grand Victorian residence dating from 1868.

It was the home of pioneer David Warden, who had arrived in Sydney from Scotland in 1837 and shortly after moved to Ulladulla to begin shipbuilding.  Mr. Warden was a prominent businessman and citizen and served as Shoalhaven Council Mayor between 1874 and 1877. Read the rest of this entry »

Ivanhoe East’s Rangeworthy

Rangeworthy, Melbourne
Expression of Interest

Rangeworthy was built in 1910 for Thomas James. The transitional Victorian / Edwardian red brick residence was built on Lot 17 of the Rangeworthy Estate – an area subdivided in 1901 by Councillor and timber merchant William J. Brewer.

The total estate covered 70 acres and had 107 allotments priced from 25 ~ 40 shillings per foot. Strict building codes were enforced, such as requiring houses to be built to a cost of at least 350 pounds, in order prevent any ‘small cheap tenements’ from appearing.  Read the rest of this entry »

Fortuna to be sold in Army surplus sale

Fortuna, Bendigo
SOLD

Bendigo’s and even Victoria’s most extravagant historic home is on sale for the first time in 70 years as the Defence Department find it surplus to their needs.

‘Fortuna’ has a history dating back to the 1850s when it was built by miner Theodore Ballerstedt. It began as a modest single-storey home, but over the years Ballerstedt made many additions including adding extra floors, stables, a billiard room, lookout tower and Roman baths. He sold the mine and property to mining entrepreneur and ‘Quartz King’ George Lansell in 1871 for £60,000, and Mr. Lansell then continued to add to the home over the years. Read the rest of this entry »

Former Baptist Church in Ballarat

Former Baptist Church, Ballarat
$800,000 + GST

An old Baptist Church in central Ballarat is for sale. The classical Roman revival style church was designed by architect J. A. Doane and said to be one of his most important works. Construction began in 1866 and it was finally completed sometime between 1875 – 1879, making it over 133 years old. It features bluestone side walls which have not been rendered.

The building, with its Corinthian Roman portico, bears some resemblance to the Collins Street Baptist Church in Melbourne. In recent decades it was converted into a club/restaurant called the ‘White House’ and has also operated as Dawson’s Club and Bar. Read the rest of this entry »